Negotiation is not just for used vehicles! It is possible to obtain a discount for a new car when purchasing from a dealership. A good way to reduce the amount of your car loan!
Good preparation for negotiation conditions its success. Negotiating for a new car is a commercial act that requires meticulous preparation.
How to do it ? We tell you everything.
Define your goals:
- The maximum budget not to be exceeded. Do not forget the additional costs such as auto insurance, borrower insurance for your credit, maintenance or consumption of the vehicle;
- List three car models that fit your budget, including options;
- Define your essential commercial advantages: warranty period, maintenance contract, financing method (0% credit, contribution, etc.);
- Anticipate the expected haircut of the vehicle.
Study the offers of competing brands
Compare the offers by asking the sellers to formalize them. Take notes. A good negotiator must listen to the answers to his questions to understand the motivations of the seller to accept a drop in his selling price.
- no return of used vehicles;
- financing by its banking organization in place of your bank;
- the purchase of a vehicle in stock immediately available.
Take stock of your market knowledge
Take stock of the positive and negative elements of each brand. Then choose the model that you like the most. It will be the one that will have to be negotiated the most bitterly.
The two other brands, a possible agent, an online car salesman, will serve as a means of pressure on the salesperson.
Make an appointment with the qualified seller
During your interview you do not address Mr. X, but the Y mark. There is nothing personal in your discussions. Being a good negotiator involves the following attitudes:
- Bluff by suggesting that this car model does not excite you.
- Take your time and come back several times to try the car;
- Be humble;
- Don’t be afraid of losing this deal: new cars abound;
- Coldly analyze the final offer before accepting it, then sign with full knowledge of the facts.
Find your consumer loan at the best rate, it’s easy and free!